Reconstruction of the upper and lower extremity is a highly sensitive and complex process, requiring seasoned, experienced surgeons with a deep understanding of intricate anatomy and biomechanics.
The highly skilled surgeons affiliated with Texas Orthopedic Hospital treat the most challenging limb reconstruction and trauma cases. Part of the globally-renown Fondren Orthopedic Group, they are trained in the most advanced surgical techniques and medical devices available today and treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Non-healing fractures
- Non-union fractures
- Bone infections
- Bones shortened or misshapen following injury
- Limb lengthening
In addition to surgical care, our patients have access to our multi-therapy, fully-licensed rehabilitation department to expedite their recoveries.
Limb Reconstruction Method - The Ilizarov Technique
One of the most successful methods for treating reconstruction and trauma to the extremities is the Ilizarov Technique, a method that utilizes circular external fixators to stabilize bony segments.
A series of rings are attached to connectors; tension wires and pins are affixed to the bone as well as the external rings. This stabilizes the entire bone, but moving the external rings allows for the precise movement of bone segments throughout the healing process. Orthopedic surgeons are able to compress, distract or lengthen portions of bone during the course of treatment. Patients who have had upper and lower extremity reconstructive surgery respond well to this technique.
The Ilizarov Technique is used for the treatment of complex problems, including:
- Severe and complex acute fractures
- Fracture nonunions (failure to heal)
- Infected nonunions
- Segmental defects (large areas of missing bone)
- Chronic bone infections
Limb Reconstruction Specialists
A specialty orthopedics hospital, Texas Orthopedic Hospital has long been recognized for patient care, satisfaction and safety. We've been named one of Healthgrades' America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ and among the Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Safety. We consistently rank within the Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Satisfaction as measured by Hospital Consumer Assessment Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS).
Awards & Recognition
- Top 5% in the Nation as measured by Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS)
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Hospital Compare program five-star rating (2016-2017) in both quality and service
- Best Specialty
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement™ (2016-2017)
- Patient Safety
- Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2013-2019)
- Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Safety for 7 years in a row (2013-2019)
- Top 10% in the Nation for Patient Safety for 6 years in a row (2013-2018)
Becker's Hospital Review
- 100 Hospitals with Great Orthopedic Programs
- "Top 100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare" (2012-2019)