June 29, 2021
Texas Orthopedic Hospital Excels in Total Joints and Spinal Fusion Outcomes
Houston, TX – Texas Orthopedic Hospital is 5-star rated for total hip, total knee and spinal fusion outcomes according to new research released by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions using Medicare data, and additional analyzes outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states.
This analysis shows that patients treated at hospitals receiving a 5-star rating have a lower risk of dying and a lower risk of experiencing one or more complications during a hospital stay than if they were treated at hospitals receiving a 1-star rating in that procedure or condition. From 2017 through 2019, if all hospitals as a group performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a group, on average, 218,785 lives could potentially have been saved and complications in 148,681 patients could potentially have been avoided.*
“Hospital quality has never been more important, and consumers are becoming more aware of the importance of researching where they receive care before they visit a hospital for a specific procedure or condition,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer at Healthgrades. “Hospitals that receive a Healthgrades 5-star rating for total joints and spinal fusion demonstrate exceptional outcomes and their ability to provide quality care for patients.”
“Being part of the finest specialty orthopedic hospital in the region and the successful partnership between HCA and Fondren Orthopedic Group is a great source of pride,”said Dr. Gregory Stocks, chief medical officer of Texas Orthopedic Hospital.”We are excited about this growth and the future of Texas Orthopedic Hospital. The surgeons of Fondren Orthopedic Group will have the opportunity to serve more patients with the excellence and compassion that our facility is known for throughout the region.”
Texas Orthopedic Hospital was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- Advanced Total Hip and Total Knee Advanced from The Joint Comission
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award™ for 9 Years in a Row (2013-2021)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Safety for 9 Years in a Row (2013-2021)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2021 Outstanding Patient Experience Award,™ which recognizes hospitals that provide an overall outstanding patient experience, as defined by the responses received from their own patients from January through December 2019.
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ for 7 Years in a Row
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement in 2021
- Named Among the Top 10%in the Nation for Joint Replacement for 7 years in a Row (2015-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 14 years in a Row (2008-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement for 14 years in a Row (2008-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery in 2021
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures, and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected). View the full list of Specialty Excellence Award™ recipients here. Find the complete Healthgrades 2021 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology.